How to Apply Foundation With a clean face, cleanse, tone and moisturize.Apply primer. Apply foundation to freshly moisturized skin to ensure you have a perfect base on which to work.Then, I use a cosmetic sponge to apply most types of foundation –Try not using your fingertips which results in an uneven, greasy finish.Apply foundation in dots, then blend each one with your sponge.Dampen the sponge first of all, then squeeze out the excess moisture – this will prevent the sponge from soaking up too much costly foundation.Check for tidemarks on your jawline, nose, forehead and chin.Choose a color only one shade lighter than your skin tone for the most natural look. You will get best results if you use a flat brush to apply the cream into the hollows of the shadow and then gradually blend it into the rest of your makeup.Then apply some powder to finish it off. Loose powder is great!
Makeup Box – A Makeup Artist’s Tool Kit to brush up your makeup
Bring out the makeup artist in you with a good collection of makeup brushes, sponges and curlers. Even the most expensive and quality makeup in the world won’t look particularly great without the correct makeup tools. For a professional finish you need the right tools. This means investing in a set of good brushes and applicators. Here’s your basic cosmetics tool kit .
1. Makeup Sponge
It is best to have a wedge-shaped makeup sponge, so you can use the finer edges to help blend in foundation round your nose and jaw line, while the flatter edges are great for the cheeks, forehead and chin. However, if you prefer not to use a synthetic sponge try the small, natural ones instead.
2. Powder Brush
Get used to using a powder brush each time you put makeup on. To prevent a caked or clogged finish to your face powder use a large, soft brush to dust away any excess.
3. Blusher Brush
Use to add a pretty glow to your skin with a light dusting of powder blusher. A blusher brush is slightly smaller than a powder brush to make it easier to control.
4. Eyeshadow Brush
Smooth on any shade of eyeshadow with this brush.
5. Eyebrow Tweezers
It is essential to have a good pair of tweezers for regularly tidying up the eyebrows.
6. Eyeshadow Sponge
An sponge applicator is great for applying a sweep of pale eyeshadow that does not need much blending or applying high lighter to your brow bones.
7. All-in-one eyelash brush/comb
Great for combing through your lashes between coats of mascara for a clump-free finish. Flip the comb over and use the brush side to seep your eyebrows into shape, or soften penciled-in brows.
8. Lip brush
Use to create a perfect outline for your lips and then use to fill in the shape with your lipstick.
9. Eyelash curlers
Once used, they’ll soon become a beauty essential! Curlier eyelashes help open up your eyes and make a huge difference to the way you look.
Of course there’s more to it, but here are the bare essentials.
I’ve gotten more emails about “how do you do the hair the way celebrities do? Can you show me?” I will share with you what face shapes it the hairstyles look good on.
I’ve picked out some celebrity hairstyles form the 80th academy awards that I found were my favorite.
Face: Oval, Oblong, Diamond
Time To Prepare: 30 Minutes
How to Get The Look: Blow Dry, Hot Rollers
Products to Use: Wax, Hair Shine
Face: Oval, Oblong, Square, Diamond
Hair Type: Medium to thick
Time To Prepare: 30-45 Minutes
How to Get The Look: Blow Dry and use a big curling iron
Products to Use: Mouse, Hairspray
Face: Oval, round, square, heart
Time To Prepare: 30 Minutes
How to Get The Look: Blowdry hair and tie back. Make sure hair is loose in the front
Products to Use: Mousse, hairspray
Face: Oval, Round
Time To Prepare: 30 Minutes
How to Get The Look: Blow Dry, Hot Rollers
Products to Use: Mousse, Lacquer
I will post some videos on here about how to do it. I will show you, ok?
No worries, Joy’s here to the rescue. So, save my bookmark and keep checking this site. I will have more information on “How To’s”..I PROMISE!!!!
Peace out and enjoy the day!
1. Cutting your hair makes it stronger or grow faster.
Bull winkle. Its hair, not a lawn. Exactly where this myth started is unknown, but is probably related to the observation of men’s facial hair. There are different kinds of hair on your face and head. Hair on your head and facial hair have different properties. Cutting your hair will only make it shorter and hairs grows almost exactly half an inch per month, no matter what you do or take.
2. Split ends can be repaired.
Sorry Charlie, not true. Split ends cannot be repaired and should be cut off immediately or they will split yet higher and do yet more damage.
3. Brushing your hair is good for it.
To the contrary, brushing your hair is very bad for your hair and the leading contributor to split ends and hair breakage. By all means groom your hair, but once it is in place, STOP.
4. Tight hats cause baldness.
This one probably started in the military where young men entering the service were required to wear hats and soon showed signs of going bald, or at least of hair thinning. This is due to coincidental timing. The age that young men enter the military is also the same age that male pattern hair loss begins. This is due to dihydrotestosterone, not hats. Hats do cause hair breakage and to a lessor degree to split ends.
5. Hair can turn gray or white over night.
What utter nonsense. This one was born in literature. What part of “fiction” did they not understand? Hair receives its color genetically and can only turn gray or white over very long periods of time. Actually the hair doesn’t turn white in as much as the hair loses color, but not over night, or even a wild weekend.
6. Pluck one gray hair and two grow back.
Folks, if this were true I would be pulling my hair out by the fist full. I need more hair and can always color the gray hair.
7. Baldness is inherited from the mothers side of the family.
More Hair Voodoo. Male and female pattern hair loss can be inherited from either side of the family and may or may not skip many generations. Male pattern hair loss usually begins at age 18 to 20 and female patter hair loss between ages 45 and 55.
8. Dandruff is caused by dry scalp.
Dandruff and dry scalp are two entirely different things. A good shampoo and conditioner will take care of the dry scalp, which is ‘flaking’. Dandruff shampoos are entirely unnecessary and inadvisable for dry scalp.
Dandruff is a serious health issue and requires medical attention and prescribed medication. The ‘flakes’ are actually oily, not dry. Very few people have actual dandruff and you would know it if you did.
9. Dandruff is contagious.
No. You already have the micro organism that causes dandruff, yours just aren’t as active. On the other hand, there are plenty of nasty things you can get from someone else’s comb or brush, so be careful.
10. Cutting your hair during a full moon makes it grow in healthier, fuller, faster or longer.
Give me a break. I am not even going to dignify this one with an explanation. Hey, if they buy into this type of earth muffin drivel, by all means, let them mark the dates on their calendar.
This is a really great look, especially if you have a round face, a big forehead, or if you’re trying to cover the acne pimples on your forehead…JUST KIDDING!
Here’s the easy “how to” instructions on creating the sexy side swept bangs.
Side swept bangs tend to suit alot of face shapes and look good on almost everyone. They can hide a larger forehead or downplay certain facial features.
*Assuming you already have bangs”
First of all, start with wet bangs. Use a little styling mousse or hair serum while your hair is still wet. Run it through your hair from roots to end.
Next, blowdry. Grab a section of your bangs between two fingers and blowdry the roots only. Aim the dryer above first, and then alternate and left the hair up and blowdry the roots from below. This way your hair won’t be too flat or too puffy.
When the roots are almost dry, use a flat brush to curve the ends under, or sweep to the side. If you want your bangs to be sleek and straight, use a flat iron on the bottom 2/3 of your bangs.
Get a little bit of gel or wax between your fingertips and rub it on the ends of your bangs, just to define the ends. And then spray it all lightly with some hair spray to hold it in place.
That’s all your really need! You don’t want to use heavy amounts of product on your bangs, otherwise they will just look heavy and greasy on your face.
I also find if I’m going to style my hair differently to the way I usually wear it, it is much easier to start with fresh, washed hair. So if you want to change your part line, or wear your bangs differently, wash or wet your hair first, and then style.
The great thing about long bangs is you can pin them back when you want a change. You can style your hair in the pouf.
I’ve gotten so many emails saying “Joy, can you please show us how to do celebrity hairstyles!!!!” and I was like “oh , what the hell. fine.” I have no problem doing it.
Here I have Jessica Simpson with a classic twist up do.
Classic Neat Twist
To create classic neat twists like Jessica Simpson’s use Redken fabricate 03 heat active texturizer from roots to end and brush hair through. Then use a large base curling iron making sure to apply hot sets 22 thermal setting mist to each three-inch section of hair and clip each section once done until cool. Brush hair out. Apply a small amount of glass 01 smoothing serum throughout, then backcomb and smooth over the sides and back. This gives the shape and height that is perfect for this look. Pin back into a French twist, smoothing the top and spray with forceful 23 super strength finishing spray to keep shape.
Here, you have Emmy Rossum’s sexy romantic half up do
Romantic Half Updo
To create a romantic half updo like Emmy Rossum, first spray headplay 12 pliable working spray from root to end, and blow dry. Use a medium base curling iron on three-inch sections and apply spray starch 15 heat memory styler to each section, roll and pin back to cool down. Run fingers through hair using vinyl glam 01 mega shine spray and pull a section of hair up front and secure tightly with pins.
To get Carmen’s sexy ’90’s supermodel-style hair, start by applying a quarter-size dollop of frank.studio Volumizing Cream. Apply from roots to ends on clean, towel-dried hair. With a large round brush, blow hair up and out starting at the nape. Take small sections and be sure each section is dry before moving onto the next. Once hair is completely dry, set on large velcro rollers.
The soft, sexy Brigette Bardot-esque look seen here on Eva Mendes is great for long, layered hair. Feminine and easy to achieve, this look is great for anyone. Start by applying a few pumps of L’Oreal Bliss Extreme Volumizer to clean, towel-dried hair. Using a large round brush, dry hair up and out, away from the scalp. Work in two sections, starting at the nape. Use this method on the sides and top as well. For the front, blow hair forward and sweep to the side. Once hair is dry, toss upside down and tousle with your fingers. Finish off with a mist of flexible hold hairspray.
Do you have a wide face with cheeks that stand out and you look like a bloated fish? Im just kidding. Well, I have that problem. But hey, you know, we’re all still very cute.
If you have a chubby face, its all good. Don’t even worry about it.
Just make sure that you don’t cut your hair short, which makes your face appear wider than it is, and one simple technique to slimming your face is a 5 letter word:
- Purchase two shades of blush, one of a deeper shade and one that’s lighter. To ensure the shades go together, purchase a compact with two coordinating shades.
- Apply your usual foundation make-up or powder to cover any imperfections and even out your skin tone.
- Apply the lighter shade of blush in circular motions onto the apples of your cheeks… how are you to find them apples? Just smile!
- Next, following the line of your cheekbones, apply a sheer sweep of the deeper shade of blush.
- Blend, blend and blend. The key with this trick is to create dimension, but you do not want a very obvious demarcation between your natural cheek color and the blush (i.e. think racer stripes!).
- Sweep a small amount of the lighter shade across your nose and/or forehead as desired to add an extra “glow” to your complexion. I use Motives makeup to make my face appear thinner than it really is.
And here is Motives loose blush powder. I wear this usually for daily wear. It gives my cheeks a beautiful glow and I feel more confident and radiant that my face doesn’t look all chunky. I love wearing this because it’s for sensitive skin and also the color blends in naturally with my skin.
Women often tell me that men confuse them and that they are unsure what a man is really looking for. They have tried to please them in the past and it hasn’t worked.
Okay so what is a man seeking?
- First of all a man is seeking a love-interest. This may surprise many women but men like to love and they like being loved in return. The problem is that many women come across as impassioned and cold. It is not easy to find a loving woman and it is very noticeable how many men try and hang on when they think they have found their Miss Right.
- Men are seeking a woman who is attractive to them. Women may despair that men can be so shallow and that looks could matter so much but be careful. Men aren’t necessarily looking for a catwalk model and many men don’t like women who weigh 80lbs. But men do want a woman who takes pride in their appearance (though not excessively). Men are proud of having a girlfriend who looks good and I don’t believe any man who says otherwise.
- Men are looking for a trustworthy girl, someone they can have faith in and someone who will be there for them. This may sound like an odd thing to say, but the fact is, some women are not trustworthy and many are not faithful either. So many in fact that men are increasingly wary. That kiss at a Christmas party may not count, or the flirtatious behavior with the gorgeous barman and in fact its all great fun and part of a woman’s character. But reverse the situation and as a woman, you hate him doing the same. A man can never forgive a woman being unfaithful and so he is looking for someone who he really does trust.
- Men want to make a home eventually and are looking for a woman who will be a willing sharer in home life. Women with a sociable lifestyle are attractive because they can be relied upon to keep the social diary running in a long term relationship.
- Men are seeking women who are feminine gentle and kind because deep down the qualities that make a woman a great mother are an attraction in themselves. I am not suggesting that the man himself needs mothering, though some do, it is more the point that men seek the attributes in women that point to someone who would make a great mother to future offspring.
- Men want women with a great sense of humor. Women often come across as uptight or too bothered by too many small details. You will sometimes hear mention of a girl who is ‘one of the boys’. What this means is that she is able to fit in with their humor and is sociable and fun to be with. Such women are extremely attractive to many men. Men want to have a good time and relax when not working and so their ideal partners are women who are able to do the same.
- Men are looking for women who retain their femininity and and are caring and kind. In recent years, aping men may be a female fashion statement, but it doesn’t make them attractive. Whilst every woman in the world burps and farts and has the right to drink pints of beer, it doesn’t necessarily attract them to the opposite sex. Women can get angry and say well men will just have to get used to it, but the issue is that they don’t. They can just choose not to go for women who act in the same way as their drinking buddies.
- Men want someone who is supportive. Many women are quick to criticize men in their behavior, career and set about trying to alter them and mould them. This is a crucial mistake. Men can be manipulated yes, but they see their partnerships as support systems. The best relationships work both ways in terms of support. Where a woman is not able or willing to give that support and is too quick to criticize then she may lose her man.
- Men don’t like angry women who shout. They want a woman who can debate and converse and is able to discuss. Communication is king. A fiery passionate temperament may have made you interesting and challenging on day one. But by day 500 it holds no glory whatsoever.
- Men love a challenging woman, someone who keeps them on their toes. Men are generally lazy in relationships once they feel they’re in secure territory. When a man is challenged so he does something about it. If you want to keep your man interested, keep him challenged.
- Men are generally more reserved about sex than women. This is my experience is a fact. Men know what they like in bed and tend to stick to it. The adventurous sexual appetite in most men isn’t there even if they are convinced it is. Men in reality are quite conservative. Sexually adventurous has nothing to do with having lots of partners and more to do with the things they will try with the same partner. In most test cases I have conducted, it is the man who looks for a quiet time in the bedroom and the woman who ultimately becomes bored.
- Men want a woman who will commit to them. Though increasingly this is hard to find, it doesn’t take away the wish. Men want a girlfriend who they can share with and trust and be open with. Commitment is not a one way street and therefore men are struggling to find the levels of commitment they found previously. But the need is still there.
- Men don’t want to be alone.
This column can easily fire a great debate and I may be accused of being completely wrong but that is the beauty of opinions. We all have them. The fact is, a modern man is seeking a reliable, sexy, single girl with whom he can have a long term relationship with. He wants to have fun, share his life and ultimately settle down. There are a few long term bachelors but not that many. The problem guys have is that the world has changed. They don’t necessarily want to have children and settle down straight away, but it will come. They do seek self-respect even if they are not the primary breadwinner and they seek respect from their partner.
As for me, I still haven’t found “Mr Right,” and I wish he would come around and sweep me in his arms, but till then, I will keep my head up and remember that the next guy that comes around that “tickles my fancy,” I will keep this in mind. 🙂
I drink aloe vera juice to help me with constipation, diarrhea, and it’s also good for any type of gastrointestinal disorder. But another great benefit of the aloe vera juice is that it helped me to lose weight. I drink aloe vera juice EVERY DAY…and some of you may think it’s nasty, horrid, tastes like crap, or makes you go poo, but the Aloe vera juice that I take has Studies which have suggested that aloe, when consumed orally, imparts a wealth of health benefits, including aiding digestion and supporting the immune system. Ultimate Aloe® Juice is a rejuvenating tonic made from 100 percent aloe vera, 50 percent aloe concentrated powder, more than 200 nutrients, enzymes, vitamins and minerals, including 13 of the 17 essential minerals needed for good nutrition. Supports a healthy digestive tract and promotes regularity within the bowel. Comes in natural aloe flavor, cranberry-apple, strawberry-kiwi, and pomegranate.*
I drink the pomegranate, and again, this helped me to also lose the 40-45 pounds.
I went from a size 14 to a size 5-6…and I LOVE IT!!!
Not only is my digestive system feeling better, but i lost weight, and I feel sexy as a mofo..hehe
You can only buy this kind of aloe vera juice through market america, so
and purchase it. Im telling you the truth..i lost weight from drinking this stuff.
Hair style is important and the posts that I have show pictures of nice hairstyles, but I dont go into detail about what hair looks good on different face shapes.
Take a good look in the mirror. Pull your hair back in a pony tail and see what face shape you have.
Only slightly narrower at the jaw line than at the temples, with a gently rounded hairline.
A variety of styles . . . most any hair shape looks good on you. Your “perfect” features allow you to wear more styles than any other face shape. Have you ever noticed the majority of models fall into this shape? Have you noticed how many different hair styles they can wear?
You can wear short, medium and long hair styles. Your face shape is well “balanced” or in even proportion. You will look best when styling your hair off your face. Most oval face shapes can wear slicked-backed looks as well.
Covering up your “perfect” features with heavy bangs, or too forward-directed styles.
In wearing your hair style on your face, you’ll lose your face shape behind the hair. It may appear to add weight to your face.
Jennifer Aniston, Cameron Diaz, Mariah Carey, Jewel
Long and slender, about the same width at forehead and just below cheekbones. May have a very narrow chin or a very high forehead.
Short to medium lengths. Fullness at the sides of your face. Soft wispy bangs. You’ll want to balance the look of a long and slender face. Soft wispy bangs will shorten the appearance of the length. Fullness at the sides of your face will add width to the look of your face shape.
By cutting the hair into a short or medium length, the outline of the cut will also shorten the look of the length of the face. Layers work great with your face shape, as they will add softness to the straight lines in your face. Try side parts, and you may be able to wear straight back styles.
To much hair length . . . your face will look even longer! Too much height lengthens your face. Center parts. When your hair gets past your shoulders there is a good chance it is doing you more harm than good. The models with rectangular face shapes and long hair, get by with it only because they have a “on call” hairdresser who is busy primping and teasing, setting and styling to add fullness to the hair. Since most of us don’t have this luxury, my suggestion is keep it above shoulder length.
Gwyneth Paltrow, Kirstie Alley, Janet Jackson, Niki Taylor
Full-looking face with a round chin and hairline. Widest point is at the cheeks and ears.
hair styles with fullness and height at the crown. Off center parts. Short hair styles with a swept-back direction or hair styles that are longer than chin length. By layering the top to achieve fullness and keeping the rest of the cut relatively close to the face, your face shape will appear longer and narrower.
Chin length hair with a rounded line that mirrors face’s circular shape. Center parts. Short-short crops, straight “chopped” bangs. Fullness at side of ears. A rounded haircut ending at the chin will certainly add weight to your face shape. Because the widest part of your face is at the cheeks and ears, you need to avoid having the fullness of the cut here as it will make your face appear wider.
Roseanne Bar, Kate Winslet, Drew Barrymore, Charlotte Church
A strong, square jaw line and usually an equally square hairline.
Short-to-medium length hair, especially with wave or roundness around the face. Wispy bangs. Off-center parts, height at the crown. You want to soften the square look of your face with layers and wispy looks around the face. Height at the crown will elongate your symmetrical shape. If your hair is straight you may want to consider a body wave, as some curl or wave to the hair will achieve a nice balance to the straight features of your face shape.
Long straight styles that accentuate square jawbone. “Linear” straight bangs or center parts. A straight bob ending at the jaw line is the wrong thing to do for your face shape. You can wear a layered bob, however it should end above or below the jaw line. Make sure in styling that you achieve some roundness to the shape and some height at the crown or bangs, and you will be on the right track.
Sandra Bullock, Demi Moore
Face is wide at the temples and hairline, narrowing to a small delicate chin.
Chin-length or longer styles. Side-parted hair styles. Swept-forward layers around the upper face, gently wispy bangs. A chin length bob is great on your face shape! This creates a balanced look by giving fullness where you need it. You can wear shorter styles, however, if you are a dramatic heart shape you need to leave weight in the back nape area. This will achieve more balance between your dramatic cheekbones and more narrowing chin.
Short, full styles that emphasize upper face. Height at the crown. Severe, slicked back looks. If you are a dramatic heart shape, the short full styles with tapered necklines which emphasize the upper face will make you look top heavy. Too much height at the crown will give the appearance of a longer and narrower chin. Just remember if you have a dramatic heart shape face, you have great cheekbones to emphasize! Don’t miss the boat by getting a cut which is to top heavy.
Michelle Pfeiffer, Ashley Judd, Jennifer Love Hewitt
Reverse of the heart-shape . . . a dominant jaw line with narrowing at the cheek bone and temples.
Shorter hair that balances prominent jaw line. Styles that are full at the temples, taper at the jaw. Off center parts. Wedges and shags look great on you. You need lots of layers to achieve fullness through the upper part of your face. By wearing styles which are full at the temples and taper at the jaw line, you achieve a balance which can be remarkable, in accenting features otherwise understated. Try tucking hair behind your ears as this will draw attention to your eyes and add width in this area.
Long, full hair styles that draw attention to jaw line. Center parts—off-center is more flattering.
Too much height at the crown. You want to stay away from putting most of the weight of a haircut at the jaw line and below. This will give the appearance of added weight to the face.
If going with long hair, it should be kept tight at the nape.
A cross between heart and a dramatic oval. Widest at the cheekbones, and narrow equally at the forehead and jaw line.
Your face shape is balanced and dramatic. Try a variety of styles. Almost everything works with your face (as long as you are a true diamond). You can wear shorter styles, however if you are a dramatic diamond shape you need to leave weight in the back nape area like a heart shaped face. This will achieve more balance between your dramatic cheekbones and more delicate chin line.
You can do just about everything, but try not too wear to much hair on your face, thereby hiding your great features.
Katherine Hepburn, Linda Evangelista